I officially said so long to leisurely morning breakfasts after starting a new job. Rather than waking up around 8AM and prepping a solid breakfast every morning before a hot yoga class, I now get up at 6:30AM, shower, throw on work clothes, draw on my face and rush out the door to get on the road before rush hour. Breakfast? No chance.
Then I discovered overnight oats. It takes less than 5 minutes to prep the night before, let it do its magic for 10 hours or so in the fridge and VOILA! As I run out the door, I grab my mason jar packed with goodness and life is good.
Since I’m lactose intolerant and also allergic to almonds, I opt to use coconut milk but please feel free to substitute with your favourite nut milk:
- 1/3 Cup of Oats
- 1/2 Cup of Coconut Milk (I use full fat- it tastes better)
- 2 tbsp of chia seeds
- 2 tsps of vanilla extract
- 3-4 Large sliced strawberries
- 1 tbsp of Maple Syrup
- Mashed bananas (optional)
- Grab a clean mason jar from your pantry or cupboard
- Mix together the oats and chia seeds
- Pour in the milk, vanilla extract
- Toss in the strawberries, mixed bananas and whisk the mixture together!
- Cover the mason jar and put it back in the fridge and let it sit over night. ENJOY!
This is a great breakfast for those of you on the go and can be whipped up in less than 5 minutes the night before. A solid breakfast is the key to a great day!